One of Mexico`s highest-profile and most resolutely independent young filmmakers, Michel Franco
will head the Jury for the Competition Programme - Feature Film at the upcoming 23rd Sarajevo Film Festival
, set to run 11-18 August 2017. Other jury members include: Mark Adams - Artistic Director of the Edinburgh International Film Festival
, actor Goran Bogdan
, Fatma Al Remaihi - CEO of the Doha Film Institute and Turkish actress Melisa Sözen.
Michel Franco was born in Mexico City in 1979. He has been critically acclaimed for the films he has written, directed and produced "After Lucia"
(winner of the Best Film Award at Certain Regard, 2012 Cannes Film Festival
) and "Chronic"
(winner of the Best Screenplay Award at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival
Franco has produced "600 Miles"
(directed by Gabriel Ripstein and winner of the Best First Feature Award at the 2015 Berlin Film Festival), and "From Afar"
(directed by Lorenzo Vigas winner of the Leone d`Oro at the 2015 Venice Film Festival
Through his company Lucía Films
, he is also developing several feature films and TV projects.
Sarajevo Film Festival audience will have the opportunity to see his most recent work "April`s Daughter"
which was a part of the Official Selection of Cannes Film Festival 2017 and won the Un Certain Regard Jury Prize.FILMOGRAPHY
MICHEL FRANCO: DIRECTOR – WRITER - PRODUCERFeature Films
LAS HIJAS DE ABRIL / APRIL ́S DAUGHTER (2017)
• Cannes Film Festival - Official Selection - Jury Prize - Un Certain Regard
• Cannes Film Festival - In Competition - Award for Best Screenplay
• Cartagena International Film Festival - Gem Section - Award for Best Film
• Film Independent Spirit Awards - Nominee for Best Picture
A LOS OJOS (2015)
• Morelia International Film Festival
• Karlovy Vary International Film Festival
DESPUÉS DE LUCÍA/AFTER LUCIA (2012)
• Cannes Film Festival - Un certain regard - Best Film Award
• San Sebastian Film Festival - Horizons Award - Special Mention
• London Film Festival (BFI) - Special Mention of the Jury
• During its commercial run in Mexico, the film was seen by over 1,000,000 people.
• Developed with the support of CINÉFONDATION at La Résidence du Festival of Cannes program.
DANIEL Y ANA/ DANIEL AND ANA (2009)
• Director’s Fortnight
• The film subsequently participated in a variety of international festivals, amongst them the San Sebastian Film Festival. It was distributed in many territories including Spain, France, Mexico. Short films
ENTRE DOS (2003)
• Grand Prize at the Huesca International Film Festival
• Best Short Film at the Dresden Film Festival
CUANDO SEA GRANDE (2002)
ASI NOS GUSTA VIVIR (2003)
EL SOLDADO (2001)